An app design to support the process of creating a Herbal Tincture. Concepts developed by conducting design research, sketching to create a well defined user interface that offers a step-by-step experience while creating a herbal remedy.  
Fall 2016 @ LMC 6399 Discovery & Invention in Digital Media
Project Brief
• Conduct research by participating in a herbal medicine making workshops at the Homestead Atlanta
• Identify the of making a "tincture" closely, and identify opportunity for design intervention
• Produce sketches and final designs for a digital intervention to improve the process of learning 
Software Used
Sketch, Illustrator, Invision and After Effects
Started by conducting contextual analysis
A key part of this project was understanding the context in which herbology was practiced. Below you can see pictures of a Herbology class which I attended to where I recorded my observations on details like Participants, Space & Movement and most importantly identifying the steps involved in the  Process of making a Tincture.
• Between the 20-45yrs old
• Most participants were using smartphones to make calculations or take pictures
• Herbal enthusiasts eg. to be moms & local community activists
• Most have questions about side effects of ingredients 
Space & Movement:
• Recipe cards with blank spaces to guide students with ratio calculation (Picture 1 below)  
• White Board for instructor to explain the ratio calculations ( Picture 2 below) 
• Sketch of movement of instructor within the classroom
Information resources used to class & movement chart 
Students would go back and forth to using Recipe Cards ( Picture 1)  and use the visualization (Picture 2) made by the instructor in order to understand the calculation of ratio. The visual break down helped them follow the steps better.
Process of making a Tincture:
In order to identify the steps in the process I mapped out a user task flow. To further verify the task flow I used herbal Medicine tutorials online and documentation to validate the steps. Going through mapping out each of the steps on a white board also gave me an opportunity to identify the challenges participants had in the class - which I highlighted along the process with yellow post-its.
Defining a DESIGN Intervention
One of the biggest hurdles I observed was for beginner herbalists to calculate the Menstruum to Glycerin Ration. Participants often used their smart phones to make calculation which was not only messy (because of the hands being in contact with liquid substances) but also required them to glance back to the recipe cards to refer the ratio. Secondly, novice herbalists also were in need of basic information about seasonality and allergies related to herbs.
Ideation / Sketching
From the task flows and requirements identified during my research, I started brainstorming flows for an application intervention. Sketching helped me rapidly explore concepts of helping the user visualize the steps and tasks they would have to perform during making a Tincture, keeping in mind a voice feature. 
Challenges during design 
One of the key features of the application was it's ability to help beginner herbalists to do quick math in the often messy kitchen environment. The screen to visualize this ratio breakdown took multiple revisions. progression of which can be seen from Fig. 1  to Fig 4.
Taking ideas from concept to Design 
After I had a basic composition of the progress screens identified and got approval from my peers, I moved on to laying out the designs in Sketch. For inspiration I looked at a lot of apps and websites that employed the herbal and nature theme. I modified my palette to convey the balance nature and technology.
Design Specs 
Screens for the recipe making process of Tincture 
Communicating Dialog Design
It was challenge to explain the voice feature just through click through screens, so I decided to create a video to explain this interaction or what I like to call dialog design, in essence to show a dialog between a person and technology. 

Check out the In-vision Prototype
Through this project I realized a void of design artifacts to help prototype voice experiences, and I did further exploration of tools of this. Recently, I came across this helpful article written by Damon Vessem showing examples of how to best communicate the design of dialogue. Given the limited scope of the semester I was only able to prototype one version of the screens and voice interaction. I would have liked to be able to test my hypothesis on users as they followed the process making a tincture along with the app!

more projects

Back to Top